04 October 2010

October's First Adventures

So October just started, and it feels weird to walk outside in 80 degree weather when I'm expecting 60 degree weather.  It's just different... 

Job:  So, I started working last week.  It was my first full week on the job, and I am basically reacquainting myself with fluid mechanics, which I last took over a decade ago, and learning how a pump works.  When I first learned fluid mechanics, it was so boring, but now, since I see there is a real life application around the corner, I am more interested in it.  I come in everyday about 8:30 am and leave 5:30pm, putting in either 8 or 8 1/2 hours per day.  It is an amazing concept to put less than 12 hours in per day, and walk away from the job saying "I'll just continue tomorrow".  I can't do any more than these hours due to bus scheduling, so the horrible frequency of the bus keeps me in check at the moment.  ;)  The plan right now is to read daily (yep, I get paid to read right now) and become an expert in pumps and fluids by the end of Oct, an expert in reliability by the end of Nov, review other minor subjects in Dec, and then write the 100 page paper on basically what I have read by Jan. 

I share a temporary space with two guys - Dirk (a German guy in his late 30s doing his PhD) and Andrew (Malaysian-Chinese guy in his early 20s who just finished his PhD).  Really nice guys.  Dirk is very talkative, and is like the typical aussie who mixes in a whole lot of socializing in with the work time to make the time go by quickly.  Andrew seems more of the typical Asian - get in, do the work, then go. 

The Aussie way is so laid back, that sometimes it is very .... frustrating and bewildering.  I went to a meeting on Friday with the entire team, which consists of 4 professors and me.  So, the meeting was scheduled to last for an hour, and so I thought that there would be an agenda and a lot to talk about.  I get there, and Ian sits down and says "So... I was suppose to spend an hour to plan the meeting, but it didn't happen.  So.. what do you want to talk about?"  And that is how began an hour meeting on something, but nothing, at the same time.. kind of like a Seinfeld episode.  And within this meeting, I got drafted to go to Brisbane at the end of Oct to attend a conference.  They are paying for airfare, hotel, food, etc..  so it is all good.  I hope I can squeeze in some sightseeing time as well.  I'll keep you posted on it.

I also had to sit in a meeting with PhD candidates presenting their work to the group, and I felt that I was 23 all over again, sitting in those meetings back in RPI doing the same thing all over again.  And just like normal, I fell asleep during the first presentation... so if anyone has ever worked with me, you would know that I have a tendency to fall asleep really badly at meetings.  If the person presenting does not engage the audience, but instead just reads off of the slide, I'm out like a light... just a matter of time.  So the first presenter went, discussing the usage of rapid prototyping in companies, and I lasted maybe 15 minutes.  I felt so bad afterwards, when Ian had asked if there were any questions!  :(    For the second presenter, I stayed awake since he was very fluid in his presentation.  The topic was on the training of a feed forward fuzzy neural network on patterns obtained from a wavelet transform of his vibrational data.  Trust me... it sounds geeky, but it was good.  If we sat down for coffee, you'd get it in like 10 minutes.

Driving:  I have had the total Australian experience in driving this weekend.  I decided that since almost everyone is very busy, and helping out the newbie in Oz with driving is not at the top of the list of things to do, I was going to take my adventurous self and go driving on my own.  So, I went to the industrial part of the suburb, where I have practiced with my uncle, to practice a bit and then brave the new world and travel to a park and McDonalds.  I spent about an hour in the industrial area doing k-turns, starting and stopping, trying to figure out how to start without having the car shake.  And after an hour, I got pulled over by the cops for suspicious driving.  Let me say, it sounds funny, but it isn't at the moment when they pull you over and don't state why for at least 5 minutes.  So, they said that there was a rash of burgleries in the area, and since I had passed them multiple times (they were in an unmarked car) they thought I was casing the joint.  I had to explain to them basically that I was the crazy American trying to get used to driving on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road with a manual car instead of automatic.  I know you are smiling now, thinking that you wish you had pictures... sorry, there aren't any.

Afterwards, I attempted to go to the petting zoo, but couldn't find the turn off.  So, I got lost for about half an hour.  Then I found my way back to the main road, went to McDonalds, and sat there and read for about an hour to calm some nerves, then went back home.  On the way to McDonalds, I did stall 3 times - 2 times at roundabouts, and 1 time at a red light.  I am not a fan of roundabouts right now.  However, overall, I think I am doing ok.  :P

Church:  The church people here in All Nations are friendly, and take hospitality to great lengths.  In the past week, since the last time I wrote, I have been to two dinners, and one gathering.  It is easier to get to know people over a meal than having a quick conversation after service.  This week, I am having dinner with one couple, and this weekend, there is another gathering I was invited to (I'd go if I am brave enough to go on the highway and drive there with my tomtom).  I don't ever remember being this popular... it's just the honeymoon phase of getting to know the church, I guess. 

The sermons for the past few weeks have been pushing back on the church, asking how does God's word affect their lives - does it change it or does it just go on the side.  The pastor is trying to raise leaders in the congregation, who would take more adventurous roles than just hospitality, such as leading bible studies and evangelism in the community.  It reminds me of Pastor Edwin and NBT back home.  This week was particularly focusing on being transparent with others, why we need the church, and what is the church (focusing on the end of Acts 2).  It is like reliving a whole mess of sermons from NBT... missing home.

The Global Leadership Summit comes to Perth in a few weeks.  I am going to sign up, and try to practice driving there so when the time comes, I can make it there on my own.  If I can't, I am thinking of asking someone to drive, and maybe paying for their ticket as an incentive for them.  Maybe I can talk the pastor into going.. he drives!  I am also wanting to ask if I can get the day off on the friday and make up the hours another day so I can go for both days.

Other thoughts:
I went to China town this past friday with a couple that treated me out to dinner.  Chinatown is literally 1 small small block, consisting of some restaurants, and 1 store.  For a country that is so close to china, why is it that chinatown is so small?  And for NY, which is half way around the world, Chinatown is so huge.  missing home.

No comments:

Post a Comment