27 September 2010

Wrapping up September

This week has been eventful.  Adjustment is still a process, but getting better day by day.

Job:  I finally started working at curtin university ( http://www.curtin.edu.au/ ).  Curtin is a mainly government owned university found about half an hour away from the central business district (CBD) of Perth.  It is one of the 3 main colleges found in Perth.  Right now, I am hired as a "casual researcher" which means that I make my own hours.  I was told not to go above the 75 hours per 2 weeks, since that is the budgeted amount that is provided for me in this role; however, in October when I hopefully switch over to a full time role, I can work as much over time I want since they are not paying for it. So, this means no overtime right now, and later on, work enough to get the job done, but don't over do it.  (sigh)... I might have to go to WA (workaholic anonymous) meetings ;)  I think with the spare time I have, I may take up a cooking class, swimming class, or learn to ride a bike. 

On Thursday, I came in and got my id.  On Friday, I was given a key and a desk, got acquainted with the library, walked around campus a bit, and met with Professor Ian and the last member of the team.  I was brought up to speed with the expectations of the group on me, and basically was told that I'd be doing all the research and would be the backbone of the project.  So, during work hours I am learning about pumps (how they work and why they fail) and teaching myself courses in reliability.  During off hours, I am playing "catch-up" with several subjects since according to the Professor, he talks as if I just took the classes just yesterday. I am getting a computer in the upcoming weeks, so right now I am using my own laptop until it comes.  And office supplies, such as paper, pens and paperclips, are provided by Curtin (amazing concept - I use to buy all my supplies for teaching! )  I met my two office-mates.  One is a recent phd graduate who is teaching, but trying to move into industry.  The other has just started his PhD dealing with the mechanics and faults of a wind turbine.  Both seem to be really nice, and I have had lengthy conversations with each.  From them, I need to learn how to live frugally in the area.  I went to the cafeteria (they call it the "canteen" ) for lunch, and the food ranged from $4 up to $10 per dish, which I thought was like city prices, and quite expensive for a student.  So, bringing lunch to work is definitely on my agenda of things to do. 

I think I am going to enjoy the work.  I have been coming to school in a shirt and a tie, and find only a few others do that as well.  Most come in at least a business shirt with dockers, some in jeans, and then there is the occassional t-shirt and jeans person.  I think I'll stay with the shirt and tie.. it helps me to keep focus, even though this means that I would stick out from the "casual atmosphere" of the workplace.  The work is along the same lines as I did before, and the more I talk to Professor Ian and the others on the team, the more it seems as if the role was crafted for me, as if I just graduated yesterday.  :)

I'll send pictures in an email.  If you want them, and didn't get the 1st set, just email me and I'll put you on the list.

Church: Today would make my fourth time to All Nations Presbyterian Church, and I have to say that it has been an experience so far.  Each week that I come and listen to the sermon, it speaks to me.  Today's sermon we looked at Acts 2, with the ending question of "how should we act based on the gospel message?"
I have contemplated many times this week during my quiet time about this very question - how I can be used by God here in Perth, what does God want me to do....  these are sometimes one of those things that I wish God would just send a text message and say "Kris, your mission is.... " (in that mission impossible theme with the self destructing message an option).  But alas, it doesn't work that way.  So on bus rides to the city (an hour ride each way), and then on the way to Curtin from the city (half an hour from the city center each way), I do my bible reading and quiet time and pray and ponder over it. 

On Friday nights, the church has a "bible cafe", which is their version of a bible study.  I was told that initially the bible studies used to be in people's houses, but then it became irregular for some, so the pastor decided to start in house and maybe branch out later on.  I went last week, when they finished their series on "an introduction to christianity".  This week was quiz night, and the topics were "general knowledge".  Let me tell you, "general knowledge" for an Aussie is different than "general knowledge" for an American.  So, I didn't know almost 3/4 of the information, except for the science, a little of the music, and bits and pieces of everything else.  "Footy knowledge", australian history, and recent shows on australian tv are not common knowledge.  Despite my handicap, my eclectic team which consisted of 6 other people from all over Asia and a former Anglican minister, were able win the game.  The Anglican minister lived from the beginning of WWII, and was able to answer so much information!  His response to why he could was basically "I lived through it all!"  I wish I could say the same...  I lived through the 90s, but couldn't answer what was the #1 downloaded song in 1997.  Can you?

Winning Team


On Saturday night, I was invited to a moon -lantern festival dinner at someone's house from the church.  The host family made a wonderful Korean meal, and about 10 people attended.  Most of the time was spent getting to know people, and a lot of questions about the "newbie" in the group.  After talking about what NBT does back home in brooklyn (reaching the drug addict and alcohol addict for Jesus), there was a bit of quietness in the room; maybe it caused people to think how they respond to the gospel.  Soon after, we had a lantern contest, in which we were suppose to bring our own craft pieces and with those supplied, create a lantern that would be judged by the daughter of the host family (the daughter is like 2 years old).  Let me tell you, that night, my lantern was the worst of them all (no exaggeration).  I brought half a coconut shell with me, tried to build a wall around it of colored saran wrap / cellophane and pipe cleaners, but the glue didn't work well.  So I ended up putting it into a small strawberry plastic container, put some aluminum foil to catch the hot wax from the candle, and dressed up the sides with the colored saran wrap and 2 feathers. 



Then Judgement came... the mother (Lina) took her daughter to each candle, describing what each one looked like - fish, boat, submarine, camping lantern, kite, the tin man from the wizard of oz...  with each step, the girl looked kind of confused, and not impressed....and then they came up to mine last, and the Lina said "potatoe"... I said it was a "coconut" and the daughter got excited.  So I won...

Afterwards, we all walked around the block with our lanterns, while gazing up at the stars and the moon.  You can easily see the stars in Western Australia, and they are lovely. 
So, from all of this winning, I had taken home the spoils - a chocolate candy bar, a big bottle of juice, and a girlie address book (from friday night) and a children's globe that puts stars on the ceiling (from the lantern prize). 

Today I was invited to have lunch with the pastor of the church, his inlaws, and one other couple from the church.  It was really nice to get to know people over a meal, and am considering looking into helping to teach, since they are in need of teachers.  I'll pray on it some more.

Other things:
I found a huge christian bookstore close to Perth CBD, which has books so cheap, called Koorong.  It is about a half hour's walk from the CBD.  I walked around the store like a kid in a candy shop, but only bought books that were on half of the reduced price... it was a sale on sale items!  I think I should read the books I have already on my kindle first, before buying more books... and the books on my kindle can last me for quite a while.  I'm on a new book right now, from the series by Stephen Arterburn.  On the way back, I stopped by a shop to eat a kangaroo hot dog... not a fan.

I took another driving lesson from my uncle.  This time I took the car that was lent to me by Jayson (my cousin Mara's husband).  It is a 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer, faded red (looks pink), and a little tiny leak of oil... and it runs smoothly.  It is probably in much better shape than my first car I learned to drive in, so I would probably buy the car from him later on.  So, my uncle went with me to the industrial part near the house, and we did parking forward and backing into a parking lot spot, doing k turns, and driving reverse for half a block, and turning a corner in reverse.  Let me tell you, driving manual cars is an experience... I must have done the k turn like 10 times.  The car stalled multiple times, so at some point, my uncle said to take my time, just don't stall... and then at that moment, a truck was coming by and started honking, so he commented, "well, I guess you better hurry up.. but no stalling"  PRESSURE... In all, I did ok.  I need more practice.  I drove in reverse very well, though.. too well, according to my uncle.  After I did it the first time flawless, he said "that was a fluke!  do it again", and so I did again flawless, afterwhich he gave me a look, and the lesson was ended.  He has a good sense of humor, which helps when trying to learn.  I bought a Tom-Tom this weekend, in the hopes that soon I would be able to explore with the car.  The only thing I fear is stopping at red lights on steep hills, and rolling back when it turns green.

Clothes shopping...  I must say the average Australian guy must be about 3 inches taller than I am, since all the pants come in one length.  Which means, short guys like me have to get the pants hemmed or go around with the pants cuffed at the bottoms.  So, with jeans, I didn't bother getting them hemmed, but with the clothes for work, I had to get them hemmed.  You know when you do comparative shopping going to like 3 or 4 different stores to find the right sale and feel good about the savings?  I did that, found good slacks in Target for $20 so I bought 2... went to the tailor, who then charged $25 for each pair to be hemmed... and I thought, "man, there goes my savings!"  Western Australia should think about the short guy and sell shorter pants... or maybe they have, and are just taking advantage of our shortness!  hmm...

Oh, one last thing.. it has come to my attention that no one here, outside of my cousin Chad, uses a gps system.  This I find weird.  Everyone that has drove me home from church (which for some reason people insist on doing, which sometimes makes my paranoid NY sense kick in), always whips out a map book to figure out how to get to my aunt's place and then home.  I find this quite weird, and have inquired about it, with the only response of, "it's a WA thing".  ... I'm still sticking with the tomtom.

That's my eventful week.  If you read, post or email.  Hope to hear from  you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment