29 November 2010

Almost there....

Just to start off with a small story...
In one of the last blogs, I had said that I house sat for my aunt (my aunt and uncle went overseas for two weeks, during which I went ot Brisbane for a week).  So, I was house sitting for 1 1/2 weeks, and I did a pretty good job, except for a couple of days here and there.  The routine was that I would feed the dog and the fish and topped off the water in the pond before I left for work, and then in the evening, make sure the light was on in the back so that the dog sees the herons when they sit on the roof and stare at the fish at night.  There was one day when the water heater's pilot light went out, and I woke up to a cold shower.  So I went outside, fed the dog and fish, and put a hose in the pond to top off the water in the fish pond before going to work.  Then I proceeded to fix the water heater, which I thought would be a 5 minute job, but turned into a 30 minute job.  After I fixed it, I ran into the house, grabbed a bite to eat and noticed that the water level in the pond was almost over flowing!  Good thing I caught it... turned off the water and went to work.  Later in the same week, on Saturday I was going to the GLS 2010, and so I fed the dog and the fish, and topped the water, but then got distracted... no, it wasn't like "Ooo, bird!"... it was more like nature was calling.  And so, afterwards, I left to go to the GLS.  8 HOURS LATER I came back to find the water still flowing!  I spent about 2 hours fixing up the area, bailing out water overflowing to all over the back yard... the small fish mixed with the big fish (no one was eaten), and one big fish died (sigh.. one casualty).  Moral of the story... I'm fine house sitting as long as no pets are involved... not sure about plants.  On the flip side, I came home from church one Sunday a few weeks after, and found my aunt forgot to turn the water off as well (only about half an hour on, so no casualties)... so maybe forgetfullness runs in the family.  So, just a warning... I can house sitting is good if you have no pets... and maybe plants.

Job:
The job is going well... still reading.  Some readings are good, others not so hot.  I think I am going to go back to caffeine addiction through coffee if I can't stay awake through some of these articles and books.  I think the topic is interesting, but some people write in such a dry way that I am surprised that they didn't fall asleep when they proofread their work!  I've been to a few meetings where the entire mechanical and civil department gets together to discuss the huge problems that they are facing.  What I find amusing is that the problems they are facing with teaching their students, I have already faced and learned from in dealing with teenagers in the NYC public school system.  However, when I mention solutions at times, I am told that it is not the same as high school since it is "uni"!  So, I have learned to keep my mouth shut, and just sit at meetings, which I end up falling asleep at since I have no chance of contributing.  Frustrating... yes.  But I remind myself, I am the newbie, and thus the lowest on the ladder rung.  An example, is that one problem they are facing is that students are not keeping up with the work, and not responding well to the exams and work.  So, one professor/lecturer stood up and gave this 5 to 10 minute presentation on the "ground breaking work" that he has done, which boils down to - do an assessment test in the beginning of the year when the kids come in, based on exam results the lecturer must review some key points before moving on and scaffold his work, and in the end, pole the class as to what could have been improved in the class.  I sat there, after the presentation, and thought that I could have said the same thing and more... but what do I know?! (sigh... part of starting life over again).

On the up side, the contract for full time work will come in definitely in January, so that means that I can have the go ahead of finding a place of my own near campus.  I'll have a secure job for 2 years, with possibly a 6 month extension.  After this, I don't know where I'll end up.  It is for reasons like this I feel my life is on hold at times.  But I must remind myself that God has my life in His hands, and today is no surprise to Him... He knew today would come before I was born, and definitely before I began this journey.  So, live the adventure and just wait on some things.

Housing
I found a place to live... I am going to move out of my aunt's place in about 2 weeks.  I am renting a bedroom in a 4 bedroom house for $130/wk, which I hear is a really good price.  There are 2 guys living currently there, and hopefully another nice, neat guy will take the last room.  I'll have to meet the guys and figure out how bills and stuff work.  I don't know the guys who currently live there, and yes, there is a lock on the bedroom door.  Hopefully, everything works out well.  I'll sign a lease soon for 6 months first, and take it slowly from there.  Worst situation is that I lose the 6 months rent, and I move back with my aunt while finding another place.  Best possible situation is that I found a nice place to live for a while.

The place has 4 bedrooms upstairs, and downstairs is a kitchen and common area.  1 1/2 bathrooms, and it comes fully furnished.  Rent does not include utiliites, but how much can they be?  After all, I work all day and come home late in the day.  I think food would be the biggest bill & obstacle.  Maybe I can find cooking lessons to widen my skills :P 

I meet the landlord this week.

Church:
So, I am thinking of settling into The Rocks for many reasons... location, their evangelism, the energy, upbeat and modern, community...  I talked to the pastor today about where I can fit in, and there are several places that he has in mind such as part of the college group, or opening another cell group for bible study (they call it a "Link"), or reaching out to the Curtin University students, or helping with a recovery program they want to start in March.  ...  I'm excited.  At least here, maybe past experience can be used to help others.  I can't wait to see what God has in store.  =)

Driving:
Just to let you know, I am getting better at driving.  Today I was able to go up and down the gears with only one problem (i didn't downshift, and just hit the brakes at that time).  I am getting better, and most of the time, not all, I can hardly feel the shifting of the gears... I sometimes put too much gas though, and you hear the high revving of the engine, but there is no jerkiness in the ride.  Almost there!!! 

Other:
Holiday season started this week... Thanksgiving in the US came, and so on Thursday, I went out and had a turkey sandwich at Subways, and since they didn't have pumpkin pie at the supermarket, I just looked for something kind of sweet that my aunt and uncle can also have.. so I got jam lamingtons (it is like a 1 1/2 inch sponge cake cube with a layer of jam in the middle and covered on the outside with a layer of thin chocolate and sprinkled with coconut).  Holidays may be a bit hard the first year or two here, I guess.  I didn't feel like doing work on Friday, and the bible study group really helped out.  They are a bunch of really silly people when they come together...  it was nice.

On Saturday, I decided to do something and so I ventured out to Freemantle, or Freo as the locals call it.  Freemantle is a coastal town, and is a mix of having the South Street Seaport or Brighton Beach feel (in NYC) crossed with Park Slope (in Brooklyn) kind of feel when you are away from the shore line.  It was nice.. more exciting than other parts of the Perth area, but not as hustling and bustling as NYC. 



So I watched a solar model car racing competition between high school students in the park on a 15 meter track (it was cool... yes, I am a geek.. so what?), then I went to the Maritime Shipwrecked Museum (wasn't that interesting), had lunch at a place that was recommended for its pizza called "Little Creatures" (ingredients were fresh, but the pizza was not so spectacular... but the atmosphere was really nice)
I went to town to see the shops and watched a street performer climb "the ladder of death" while playing a guitar and said he'll swallow a flaming sword!  He took an hour to do this one thing, and the sword was only flaming at the handle... wasn't impressed.
At the end of the trip, I saw the blue version of the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard, and I saw a couple get married with a horse drawn caboose rather than a limo



Last thing, which I thought was funny...
Two weeks ago, my aunt was telling me how she is putting pressure on one of my cousins to get married.  Then my uncle and aunt turned to me, at the dinner table, and basically told me I was getting up there in age, and should get married.  So, I asked what they thought the solution should be to find someone... my uncle said I should take out an ad or post on facebook:

"Wanted: bride for marriage which will take place June 2011.  Must meet the following qualifications: .(list my top 10 qualifications list)...  All eligible single women need apply.  Either meet before hand or at the alter.  If ceremony completes, divorce is not possible."

This is my family here!
Happy Thanksgiving... hope to hear from you if you are reading.  Hope all is well.. goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment